Thursday, April 16, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I was a little skeptical when I first heard about the movie Slumdog Millionaire. None of my family really seemed to be talking about it or anything. Then when it won just about every award it was nominated for beating out some of the most incredible movies I knew I wanted to see, or at least had to. So I rented it.
It’s filmed in India and tells the story of a young man who grew up in the slums of Mumbai. He is in the present appearing on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? When he surpases the point where most contentestants normally fail he crabs attentions of India’s viewers and becomes a hit. Everyone tunes in to see how this boy is going to do. He has flashbacks during his time in the hot seat and each flashback seems to bring him the answer he needs for the question. This innovative way of holding the suspense and inform the audience of the main characters pasts is a great technique.

Slumdog Millionaire was nominated for ten Academy Awards and won eight of them. Including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Cinematography, Best Original Score, and Best Origional Song. It also won four Golden Globes, seven BAFTA Awardss, five Critics’ Choice Awards.

I really enjoyed watching the movie and thought that all the actors did a fantastic job. The kids at the beginning of the movie were great and very funny. I would recommend seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment